Thursday, January 30, 2014

Faith and Answered Prayers

It has been so funny to me to hear myself praying over smaller and smaller needs.
I pray for there to be great and inexpensive maternity clothes at the thrift store. And black church shoes for Harmony. And a big pot. Yogurt on sale. A water hook up when we stop for the night so we can shower...

What is even better though is when the Lord answers these little prayers!

For a while I had been praying for fall/winter styles dresses for the girl's to wear to church and also some black church shoes for them both. There is nothing really wrong with their sundress style church clothes and white strappy shoes except that I want us to look our best when we are in church and especially when we are presenting Indigenous Ministries there. So...I was praying.
And honestly it feels kind of silly, asking the God of the Universe to please hear my concerns about dresses and shoes for vanity's sake.
Yet...one Sunday after church we got back to Mom and Dad's house while we were in Houston and found a bag of girl clothes on the porch. A neighbor had some fabulous hand-me-downs from their granddaughter and thought of us.

Wouldn't you know that inside the bag were some beautiful church dresses, in both girl's sizes, perfect for the season! Also some black church shoes and tennis shoes for Chastity. (She did also need some tennis shoes!) Thank you, Jesus!

He also provided some really great maternity clothes at my favorite thrift store for next to nothing! It is always so nice to not have to go naked. ;)

I almost always go into the grocery store praying to find good deals and asking the Lord to help me only buy what we really really need. And one day I went into Whole Foods just going to hit the bulk bins so I can get oatmeal and quinoa for cheap. (It IS possible to shop at Whole Foods for cheap.) Of course, a certain son of mine needed to use the restroom as soon as we walked in the door so my little troop all caravanned over to the restrooms. While we were in there a woman walked by to the sink and without even making eye contact with me and in a low whisper said, "They have a Spectrum Naturals coupon at the front of the store on the coupon kiosk." I looked around to see if she was talking to me or if she mistook me for a spy she was meeting in the Whole Foods restroom and she went on, "also there is a coupon on the Spectrum organic mayonnaise and it is on sale! Unless it was a mistake, I got my mayonnaise for free!!!"
I decided that whether or not that information was for me, I was taking it! "Thank you SO much!!! That is so great!" And she walked on out like we had never spoken.
I got five jars of free organic mayo that day. ;)

I have so many more examples of tiny prayers that were answered, but preggo brain is not working with me.

I was sharing all of that anyway to say that it has surprised me how it has been the little answered prayers that have been growing my faith. Of course Chase is going to India and of course we will get all our funding at some point-I serve a big God!
But the little answered prayers reveal to me the God of the Universe that knows the silly concerns in my heart and actually cares about them.

We have never made great amounts of money at any ministry we have been in but even at our "poorest" I can't remember praying over things this small so consistently. And really, I am enjoying the experience of seeing God work this way and learning to trust Him more.
My Lord is just amazing. :)

Psalm 66:20

   Blessed be God,
because he has not rejected my prayer
or removed his steadfast love from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment